Today's MessagePosted: Friday, October 15, 2021
Information Security: Text Scams
The New York State Department of Health and the U.S. Federal Trade Commission are warning New Yorkers and others about a phishing text message asking individuals to confirm a vaccine appointment. The fraudulent text message impersonates the NYS Department of Health and links to a false site asking the recipient to divulge personal information.
The NYS Department of Motor Vehicles has also warned New Yorkers about a text message phishing scam asking individuals to verify driver license numbers and to validate COVID-19 status.
The FTC warns individuals
- to exercise caution with all communication they receive—especially when it appears to be from a trusted source;
- to continue to look for poor spelling and grammar, threats, and suspicious URLs;
- not to click on a link from an unsolicited message or unverified source; always verify the source before clicking;
- not to send personal information via text;
- to remember to be careful about what they post online and in social media.
Monday, October 18, 2021
Tuesday, October 19, 2021